Tuesday 28 April 2015

We're Only Here For The Banter - I Am David Laing


When you are a solo artist, the last thing you want if for people to forget your name, which is why there can be no confusion when it comes to I Am David Laing.  The Gourock singer-songwriter, writes and performs with confidence gained during time served in bands.  Now that he has stepped away from the bands and into the spotlight by himself, he is crafting folk songs with classic pop sensibilities. 

Hello!  How the devil are you?

Hello!  I’m rather well thanks, yourself?

Not too bad thanks!  It's the question everyone hates, but could illuminate our readers with a little bit about your music and your influences?

I normally write songs about things that have happened in my life, normally about girls, or more specifically, getting knocked back by girls!

I’m influenced by Del Amitri, Fleetwood Mac, Joni Mitchell, Gregory Allan Isakov and Frightened Rabbit.

What's your song-writing / creative process like?


I tend to come up with an idea, for a songs lyrical content, then I’ll just mess around on the guitar or piano until I find suitable chords.  Then just spend ages trying to get something that sounds alright which can take a lot of time depending on the song.

Tell us about your recent single Marmalade.


Marmalade  was written during a particular ‘rejection section’ of my life in late 2013.  I have a tendency to write a lot of downbeat tracks, so I liked the idea of writing a song that was upbeat, but had rather melancholy lyrics that people could relate to.

What could we expect to see from a live show?

My rapidly receding hairline, some shite patter, but hopefully some alright songs!

What else have you got planned for 2015?

There is a second single coming in a few months with the album coming out at some point before the end of the year.  I'm also planning a couple of split EP's with some of my fellow musicians.

What are you listening to at the moment?

Joni Mitchell- Court and Spark,  pretty much everything Del Amitri have ever written, The Beatles - Revolver,  Stornoway - Bronxie,  and Sufjan Stevens - Michigan.  I'm actually still waiting on his new album arriving!


Check out more from I Am David Laing

Facebook         Soundcloud

No comments:

Post a Comment