Wednesday 4 July 2012

We're Only Here For The Banter - M A D I S O N


It's a first here on Scottish Fiction.  In our 12 month run of 'We're Only Here For The Banter', today is the first time anyone has featured twice.  Welcome back Russell Ferguson, lead singer of M A D I S O N.  We've never been in doubt about Russell vocal prowess, and with M A D I S O N's debut release 'Armbands' earlier this year such belief was reaffirmed.  Piano driven pop-rock, the four piece from Cumbernauld joined us for some questions.

Hello, how are you?

Hello there!  I'm great, a bit tired seeings that it's 2.10am.  (I've been playing Super Mario Galaxy 2).

It's the question everyone hates, but could you tell us a little bit about your music and your influences?

In a nutshell, our music is pop/piano/rock, or perhaps "Pocko".  I like to think the majority of our songs have a triumphant air to them, kind of like a marching band parading down a street in full costume.  Influence-wise I think we're quite Coldplay-esque (I know, I too can hear many people people clicking the top right hand side of this page currently).  Throw in a little Twin Atlantic and a dash of Jimmy Eat World and I think you've got us nailed.

What's your song writing process like?

It's bizarre.  It'll start with one single melody on either the piano or guitar.  We'll play around with different drum beats and get a standard three minute song down.  We then like to look over it and add bits in, take bits away, add harmonies (however barbershop quartet they may be), make fun of me for a wee bit and then we'll have a song.

What could we expect to see from a live show?

Well I sweat a lot.  So a lot of sweat, maybe some good tunes?  I think we've got a really unique stage presence.  I've been nicknamed "Snake-hips" because I apparently, whilst playing, sway my hips in the most erotic fashion.  We've also got Oliver on the bass, the craziest little bastard to ever grace the stage.  Off stage he's a gentle and shy soul, on stage he becomes a monster, come see us to watch him transform.

If it were all to end tomorrow, what would you say has been your greatest achievement?

I have once successfully completed "The Holy Trinity".  Yes, I have eaten a McDonald's, Burger King and KFC all in the one day.  As a band, we haven't achieved our greatest achievement yet, this being for me to successfully play a show without making a mistake on the piano, I'm piss poor at it.

What have you got planned for the second half of 2012?

We're actually going to be very busy bees this side of 2012. In the works we have something that involves going to the ocean with a video camera and exercising, some really exciting gigs and hopefully a debut EP.

At Scottish Fiction we focus on new Scottish music, how do you as a band view the Scottish music 'community'?

Close knit.  Everyone knows everyone, everyone supports everyone.  If the 'community' are digging a song or band, it'll resonate throughout the scene.  It's really remarkable.

What other Scottish artists would you recommend to the Scottish Fiction readers?

Literally too many to name; our good pals So Many Animal Calls make a rare old noise!  (For the record, they used my amp on Rockness' main-stage, therefore by default, I too played Rockness' main-stage).  Really loving Campfires In Winter and Queen Jane too, again these guys are friends of ours but the music they make is really fantastic.

Thanks for speaking with us, would you care to share a joke with us?

I'm terrible at jokes so let me scroll through Google/Sickapedia to find one... right here we are:

"TAKEN 3 has just been announced...  Social Services step in and declare Liam Neeson an unfit father for putting his daughter in dangerous situations."

God Bless Sickapedia.


Check out more from M A D I S O N

Facebook      Twitter      Website


No comments:

Post a Comment